Individuals eligible for CAYA include:
In February, 2015, CAYA was recognized in the BC Provincial Budget with budget line funding of $5.7 million for the next three operating years 2015-2018 ($1.9 million annually) from the Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation. This funding will allow CAYA to continue to provide communication devices and services to people with complex communication disabilities in BC until March 31st, 2018. While we at CAYA are grateful for this funding we recognize that it is not adequate to meet the demand across the province. As a result of this ongoing funding shortfall, CAYA will continue to have a wait list.
CAYA operates on 3 intake cycles per year. To ensure that we address the needs of individuals with fairness and responsiveness, Requests for Service will continue to be triaged and activated based on a range of individual factors including:
- urgency (e.g. terminal diagnosis, imminent loss of housing or employment due to loss of communication)
- geographical factors (CAYA provides service across BC, to keep costs down we cluster visits to remote regions)
- transition factors (enabling individuals to smoothly leave school, or move from institutional to individual living situations)
- length of time on waitlist
- other factors as identified